A higher education is essentially an institution which preserve, develop, disseminate, and explore science and technology. A higher education also provides improvement for the quality of human resources and the educational services. In this globalization era, where the emerging of information and interdependence, increase the role of a higher education. In this era, the competitive advantage of a country is no longer determined by the wealth of its natural resources, but by the human resources quality and also information, science and technology domination.
Related to the issue mention above, the future existence of University of Muhammadiyah Sumatera Utara is determined by its ability to fulfil those demands. University of Muhammadiyah Sumatera Utara needs to enhance its competitiveness to achieve sustainable competitive advantage based on its philosophy and assessment. University of Muhammadiyah Sumatera Utara formulate its vision and mission for implementation and development as follows:
To be a higher education that excels in building the civilization by developing science, technology and human resources in accordance toAl-Islam and Muhammadiyah’s.
To achieve its vision, University of Muhammadiyah Sumatera Utara has missions as follows:
- Perform education and teaching methods based on Al-Islam and Muhammadiyah’s.
- Enforce research, science, and technology development based on with Al-Islam and Muhammadiyah’s.
- Conduct community services through community empowerment and development based on with Al-Islam and Muhammadiyah’s.
To realize the vision and mission, the goals to be achieved as follows:
- Produce graduates who have professional, creative, innovative, independent and responsible.
- Realizing effective, efficient, transparent, accountable and sustainabel university management.
- Produce reliable human resources in the research.
- Produce national and international scientific works useful for the development of science and technology.
- Creating a network of cooperation with various national and international institutions.
- To help create a quality and self-reliant society.
Duty and function
- The university has responsible for organizing the devotion and faith in Allah SWT, education and teaching, research and community services and developing science and technology according to the guidance of Islam.
- The University has function to manage the educational resources which includes the guidance of faith and devotion to Allah SWT, education and teaching, research, community services, and to compile and carry out technical academic policies subject and responsible to the Higher Education Council (Majelis Dikti) in accordance with applicable provisions.